Monday, June 27, 2011

I believe I can fly..


Do you want to go fast? I do! No celebrities or news of me trying to go Hollywood on you this week. (Not that that isn't still part of my plan...I love wearing my shades at night, usually out of necessity.) Nope, this week I am actually going to focus on what most of you know me for..skating. In a few hours I will be flying to the other end of the country for what I'm expecting to be one of the most intense and enjoyable experiences of my life, Maryhill Festival of Speed. This technically won't be the first downhill event I've competed in but Major Stokem was "just the tip" compared to this coming weeks events. That's my favorite game by the way...

I have to admit that I'm just a bit nervous and not because of the speed, though I won't be totally confident with that until I get my first run of the hill in. To be honest what I'm really nervous about is not performing at the level I believe myself to be capable of. It took a lot for me to say that but I have to give you the truth here. I know my city and the rest of our worldwide Bustin family has my back but I also know I have my haters(undercover admirers) who laugh at the thought of the self-proclaimed "king" competing at anything other than endurance push races.  I want to succeed for them, for you, for me. Hopefully this will encourage more people from the Beast Coast and more specifically from the NYC area to try their hand at downhill competition. If I can do it then you definitely can! And don't worry about the haters getting in my head too much...they're to busy getting on it.

I have quite a bit more I would like to say but blog etiquette dictates that I not give you too much to read and I have a bit of packing to finish and I would like to get a few hours of rest. To everyone that has encouraged me in this new endeavor...Thanks a million. To our Bustin staff much thanks for allowing me the opportunity to go represent us. I bleed Bustin. If you would like to keep tabs of what's going on follow me @stayskatin and/or @bustinboards on twitter. Maryhill here I come!

Stay Skatin'!

11 comments:

  1. How fast have you gone? How long can you hold a tuck for? Have you done any high-speed runs with turns?
    Stokem doesn't count. That's like level one in the real-life DH video game, and Maryhill is a major boss.
    I'm not trying to discourage you, not trying to 'hate,' but you can take it that way if it tastes better going down.
    So, good luck brah.
    Don't die out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you read my blog? Must have bc you're repeating what I said. And Maryhill is actually considered a mellow run by people that actually compete downhill, they love it so much bc of the excellent conditions. I did my research, have you? I'm guessing from this response you're simply talking about it but not going to or having already experienced it. Just a guess. I've been wrong before. Don't die? I'll think about it. Don't worry if I took this as hate bc I can't take it serious...you wrote me under anonymous....brah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Forget all of that except for the last part. lol You've been a role model for me in the past year, and i'm glad to see you pushing the bar even higher. Go out there n drop bombs like you always do! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am loving seeing you and bustin reach out into downhill, absolutely loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go get 'em brotha! I got mad faith in you and I know your gonna kill it! Mad love from Bustin South ya dig!

    -Johnny Fried

    ReplyDelete
  6. You, have inspired me as a skater! Bought my first board from you at Bustin and I've been watching videos of you and everyone skate each time before I go out! Can't wait til you see how much I've improved in a year :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Forgot to say: You'll do great!! As much as winning can be delightful, I think this first time is more about taking in the experience! Not many people are brave enough to compete in something like this. And I think many people forget to compare the years you've been skating with your skill level. So, knock em dead, And have fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. "You've been a role model for me in the past year"
    SAME
    "You, have inspired me as a skater! Bought my first board from you at Bustin"
    AND SAME.

    Solomon, best of luck to you! I know you be standing on the start line, and looking down at the hill, looking for that finish line, and ready to get some speed. But i also know you be enjoying your ride more than anything, just like always! BTW, you are king >:] When your going down that hill, keep in mind that we are all with you on this! I be on the other side of the world (hey it rhymes with you being on the other side of the country) the whole summer, but i always look forward to shred with you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. CONCRETE KINGSS!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete