Wednesday, March 7, 2012

I'm on one

A couple PBRs and I'm in the perfect mood to do a little blogging. No plan..just going to flow. So what's new in life for me? I've recently took over as Sales/Account Manager at Bustin Boards. I know some of you out there think I have been a part of the company since day one. Not true. I would say it has been about five years or so now. It's not the beginning but as far as building a community here in NYC I would say it's pretty damn close. The person I first met that was associated with Bustin was Marc Rodriguez. He had been around them for maybe a month or so but it would be another that "put me on". That experience would be placed on the shoulders of Mike Dallas. He had also only been around for a short while and was only associated with Bustin at the time. I met him at a bar in Bushwick called Wreck Room, it was a couple of blocks away from my apartment and the date happened to be 4/19. I was new to the neighborhood and had it in my mind I was going to make friends that night. I had at least eight "eLbows" on my person that I had rolled in anticipation. Of course I ran into Dallas. Long story short..he invited me to the Greenskate on 4/20, the next day.
The last Greenskate that actually landed on the green holiday. Matt Colvin, who was our point guy then, saw something in me and invited me to the team. At that point my sponsorship consisted of a board and a couple t-shirts. But I was super stoked and did not give two shits about anything else being owed to me for repping. There was no money in it but I had found my passion and knew that was the first step. I just wanted to skate and spread the word. Every person that I saw skating or even look at my board for more than a second got the scoop on Bustin.

Years later and here I am. Everyone that is not blood family that is currently in my life has been connected through me skating. They may not skate but I can guarantee that's where the root of that connection lies. I have done commercials, magazine spreads, videos, traveled, partied...from skating. I'm still not quite sure how, I'm hardly the best skater at anything...but I bleed steeze and am lethal when shredding deadly NYC traffic. I loved what I was doing and kept a smile. And that my friends is contagious; people are drawn to that. We welcomed these people with open arms. Whoever wanted to skate was welcome. I couldn't care less how skilled you were as long as you wanted to skate. To some elitist that makes us the enemy. They don't appreciate us inviting "kooks" to "their" sport and we get a lot of hate from them for it. I say get over yourselves..we already have....And with that little shot I'm going to break and call this part one. See you in a day or two for whatever is next. I'm adding a photo/video or two because they make my blog look better. Thanks to Alt Trinh from SHeRED Magazine for the photos! The video is by the talented Pam Diaz and depicts our life on the road. #StaySkatin

2 comments:

  1. Oh Yeah! Life in a Fast Lane

    ReplyDelete
  2. no ones hating on you...you just have a god complex. to see you polish your own knob on facebook everyday is so pathetic. i mean, christ, you actually made yourself a fan page! you encapsulate the definition of a certified, bonifide, KOOK. GO AWAY.

    ReplyDelete